Friday, November 11, 2011

Here we go!

So a lot goes into donating but since I'm an approved donor and know my recipient, most of what took so much time last cycle is already completed. I'll go into these later in another post, it's basically the application, interview, physical screening, psychological exam, then removal of any birth control (if you're on it) then we get to where I am today, the FDA testing. Now a few weeks ago, I did have to go into IRH and have an ultrasound just to double check everything since after my first cycle I went on vacation right after my transfer and ended up getting a concussion and staying in Montana a little longer and whelp, forgot to get my post check up. They do this just to make sure my body is still good after what it just went through. See, my first donation they were able to retrieve over 21 eggs! CRAZY, but good for the couple. Remember, naturally, women only produce 1 egg a month and it's that little lone egg that gives you all that trouble, or for men, the bill for the month. So it can be hard on your body.

Now it's funny the way everyone talks at the reproductive center, since baby making is all they do... During the ultra sound, which the actual doctor completed (not the assistant) I was told I had beautiful follicles (haha) and that my ovaries are so very responsive and that we were good to go! See before I agreed to do this for Katie, I had just put in birth control that was implanted in my arm, I originally wasn't going to donate again. It's a 3 year birth control and the hormones build as you keep it in.. So the doctor thought my body wouldn't be ready until December to start the syncing. However, like he said, my ovaries are very responsive and we're ready for action. I then met with the donor coordinator and she had me complete the paperwork needed to keep the process moving right along. They basically state that I am doing this on my own free will, not be seeking compensation and will follow all the steps as directed. The coordinator then gave me an idea of when the transfer might take place, hopefully the first week in December and once again reminded me of my wonderful ovaries. Bahaha, seems like a silly comment, but in this business, it's what so many women, wish they would hear. So I take the complement with a smile. The final topic was scheduling my FDA workup.

So here we are today, FDA testing! Although I know I'm healthy, it's still weird to have the tests done. I mean they are testing for things that well, I wouldn't be able to tell are wrong with me... So it's nice to know once it's all over with that I'm good to go and we can start the real fun! I answer all these questions about being overseas, if I've been to jail, if I've been sharing needles with people, oh ya know, the usual! Then the blood work, lots of blood work.... Of course you get weighed and blood pressure and they also document if and where I may have any piercings, or tattoos.

All of the nurses are super nice and I always like to joke and have fun with them. Both of my parents are in the medical world so I'm not shy or nervous to tell these people anything. It's their job, things aren't weird to them like they are to people work in other industries. So it's not bad.

I recieved all my medications and here we go!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I LOVE your writing...you are amazing. I love hearing your angle of this process. :)

    ReplyDelete