Thursday, November 10, 2011

Family is Family....no matter how we come by them

Were you a first date? One extra drink? A gift from God?.... Babies don't seem hard to come by, have you seen 16 and Pregnant?. Thankfully, I'm not on the bandwagon. But for some people, the business of babies is exactly that! Now I'm not trying to get political here, but I have a strong belief that the people who wait to be "ready" for a family (really, who's ever truly ready for the crazy ride?!) but now can't and are willing to do whatever it takes, emotionally or financially should have the chance. I'm not sure of the history of infertility, I'm sure some will say it's all the vaccinations, or the stress, or it's just naturally the way it is.

I don't believe that your family is who makes you. Look at the world today, all the blended beauty that makes a family in today's society. Yes, it can get messy. Stressful. A test of pride. But if you are surrounded by people who love, nurture, support, and see that your best intentions are looked out for, you in fact, have a family...whether they "made" you or not. And if in fact you do have what I just described, you're lucky!

No matter how a baby may come into someone world, it should be loved beyond life. Sometimes you realize just how precious something is when you must face a struggle to obtain it. You love it and cherish it even more because it didn’t just fall into your lap, or belly for that matter. So why should couples facing infertility not be granted the opportunity to try whatever it takes to make their dreams come true.

I’ve always been told and will always believe that hard work DOES pay off and if you truly want something, you’ll find a way to make it happen. However, the real world doesn’t guarantee anything for effort. But, if you do try everything, it can sometimes make it easier to move forward, because you did your best and that’s all anyone can ever ask for. For people who believe that IVF is doing gods work, give me a break. Like I said before, I’m not going to get all political on her, this is a blog of my opinions. But if god, made us this smart to be able to help couples become families, well why not give it a try! After all it’s just a try, nothing is guaranteed.

Now this process is not some easy task, quick procedure, over night knocked up type of thing. It is emotionally, financially, and physically daunting! As one of my favorite quotes, it might not be easy, but it sure will be worth it. Great rewards are not given without great risks – and putting yourself there like couples do facing infertility is exactly that.

Without donors, this process just could not work. So here I am! I am a feeler, sensitive, empathetic; realistic. I cannot imagine what these couples face and if I was in their shoes, I’d want someone to step forward and help. My ultimate favorite quote (you’ll learn I LOVE them) “I CHOOSE… to live by choice, not by chance; to make changes, not excuses; to be motivate, not manipulated; to be useful, not used; to excel, not compete. I choose self-esteem, not self-pity. I choose to listen to my inner voice, not the random opinion of others.” THIS is why I am a donor. I choose to help someone, to not worry what other people think of the decision I make and to put myself out there. I try to live my life like this, of course I struggle at it but when it comes to this topic, I am 100% sure that what I am doing is right.

I believe the couple I am helping also lives this way. She chooses to own her destiny and make her dreams come true. And while she fights for her dreams, she exposes herself to thousands of other couples facing the same battle. She shares the intimate details that some women in her shoes wouldn’t tell even their best friend… In hopes to shed light on the sisterhood as she calls it.

You can follow her story via her blog Our IVF Journey, for she has been handed somewhat unreasonable challenges in her life and instead of self imploding she stands tall and speaks out for those who are just not able. I can’t wait to help this couple become a family!

1 comment:

  1. I come back and read your blog from time to time. It always puts a smile on my face. You are forever my hero. :)

    ReplyDelete